Here is nail drill buying guide: essential features to look for along with safety aspects when choosing a nail drill:
Variable speed control: This allows you to adjust the speed of the drill, which is important for safety. You’ll want to be able to start at a low speed and work your way up as needed.
Ability to pause is helpful and can be considered a safety feature if something happens and you need to pause the drill instantly.
Drill lock: While this feature is not available on all drills it should be. My first drill did not have this feature and I had drill bits fly off while in use a couple times before I decided to upgrade.
SpeedRPM (revolutions per minute): This is the measure of how fast the drill spins. For natural nails, an RPM level of around 7,000 to 15,000 should be sufficient. For acrylic, dip, or gel nails, you’ll need a higher RPM level, I recommend 35,000. You don’t have to use max speeds when you are first learning, but it’s good to have a drill that is going to still meet your needs as you get more skilled at using it.
Ability to reverse directions so you can work on both your left and right hand is essential.
- LED screen: Knowing your exact speed and battery life is extremely helpful.
- Touch Screen: While a touch screen is helpful, it’s not a must have.
- Rechargeable: If you opt for rechargeable, look for long battery life. As an example, my favorite drill lasts for 24 hours so I can use it for a couple months before I need to charge.
- Cordless: Some cordless drills still connect to a base battery for high speeds but don’t require you to plug it in the wall.
- Different bits: The drill should come with a variety of bits so that you can use it for a variety of tasks, such as cuticle prep, filing, shaping, and polishing nails.
Here are some additional tips for choosing a nail drill:
Consider your budget: Nail drills for personal use can range in price from around $20 to $200 or more. Set a budget before you start shopping so that you don’t overspend.
Check current prices on the Karite nail drill that has all these features at a reasonable price under $60.